A persona in digital marketing is a fictional representation of your target customer based on market research and actual data from your existing customers. These characters have illustrative pictures and fictional names that help make them tangible to marketers. When creating personas, marketers go beyond the standard demographic questions; they drill into your customers’ psyche to better understand what drives them to make a purchase. In this blog post, we explore what is a persona in digital marketing and why they are important.
What is a persona in digital marketing and how to create one?
Buyer personas are created from a combination of these five key modalities:
1. Psychographic – This module focuses on the interests, values, lifestyles, aspirations, and opinions of the customer.
2. Demographic – Customer demographics are the unique identities and identifiers of individuals. They include basic information such as age, gender, location, level of education, marital status, etc.
3. Transactional – This reveals an individual’s purchase history and post-sale service records.
4. Behavioural – This module captures data passively by learning where individuals spend time online, what type of content they engage with, which social media platforms they use, what they search online, etc.
5. Ethnographic – It involves participatory observation where information is gathered by watching subjects in their daily routines.
To gather this information, you can look through your customer database to uncover how customers find and consume your content. You can also use surveys and form fields that capture essential persona information when customers use your website. Alternatively, you can interview customers and prospects to find out what they like about your products.
Benefits of using buyer personas in digital marketing
A better understanding of your target customer
Personas are critical to digital marketing because they give you a better understanding of your ideal customer. They give you a deeper insight into their needs, likes, preferred shopping methods, etc., allowing you to better connect with them.
Buyer personas provide you with critical information that enables you to segment your marketing campaigns. They help you customise your content and distribute it using their preferred channels.
Personas enable you to speak your customers’ language. Since you already know what they like and how best to reach them, your digital marketing campaigns will increase conversions and sales.
At Real Internet, we have a team of experts to help you with all your digital marketing needs. To find out more about our services, please contact us today.